Summer is practically over and I didn't do much of anything except work and stay home :(
Things I wish I had done this summer :
1. Gone to Adventure Aquarium ( I love me some aquariums)
2. Actually gone to APW and seen Radiohead :'(
3. Visited the Bodies Exhibit in NY.
4. Finished reading Eclipse and maybe Breaking Dawn.
5. Had at least $1,000 in my bank account (very far away from this one)
6. Bought new film for my fisheye :'(
7. Got in shape (definitely will do this next semester, even if it kills me!)
8. Bought a polaroid.
9. Learned how to swim properly.
10. Gone to a drive-in theatre.
11. Got a tan.
Okay, so that list kinda depressed me..SO here's what I did accomplish
1. Created a blog!
2. Did Peace Camp.
3. Found a better job than Vikki's
4. Finished at least 4 books.
5. Got side-bangs ( still not accomplished, but will do so very soon!)
6. purchased a nifty new green ipod. (emphasis on the nifty)
7. Went to 2 amusement parks.
8. Ate a Pecan Cinnabon (just a couple minutes ago actually, I had never tried one before)
9. Fell back in love with making cd's.
10. Made a few new buddies at Peace Camp!
11. Got Nicole into the Twilight series.
12. Learned French (still in the process! but will be good by, say, mid-semester)
Phew, okay, so I feel a little better now..yay! :)
So anyway, I'm here. Bored. Reading "Love is a Mixtape" by Rob Sheffield (the editor for Rolling Stones mag) and I must say, it's quite endearing. I'm still not done with it yet, but it's proving to be very sweet. The book has a lot of music in it, which is always a plus because I do love music. It also has romance, as Rob tells his tragic love story between him and Renee. I'm currently at the saddest part in the book (the part where she suddenly dies from a pulmonary embolism. Which, by the way, is one of the most scariest things in the world)
**Side-note: This really nice old lady just walked by the kiosk (as I was typing away like a maniac) and picked up a dime. She gave it to me and said "See a dime and pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck". Aww :) I'm pretty sure it's "see a penny" not "see a dime" but still. Put a smile on my face.
Ok, so back to the story. So, Renee dies and Rob is now alone, left wandering around with his beloved Renee gone. At one point I almost felt like crying because he describes his pain in such a real way. He's not being overly dramatic like any other author would, but he's being so real about it, which is making it even sadder. Reading it got me thinking about death and such (which is something I think about anyway because I like to think too much) I started wondering, wow, Renee was healthy and young. She died because of some random vein popping in her leg that traveled up to her heart, causing a clot and killing her in less than a minute. It was purely just bad luck. And that really sucks. Usually people who die have some kind of warning, you know. Like they're told they have cancer or lung failure or something. They're not positive they're gonna die, but they are aware of something wrong with them. But with this, she just died. Just collapsed on the floor while Rob was making her breakfast. Sudden death like that is so scary, it just reminds you of how you're so lucky you lived through that last hour.
"Love is a mixtape" also got me thinking about marriage and actually living with the person you love. Ever since I was little, I always thought that the fun part of marriage was not the ceremony itself (although that's fun too) but the actual daily married life. Like waking up with your new husband and eating breakfast or cuddling in bed. Like having to wake him up because he has work or because you guys have errands to do. I always found things like that more romantic than the ceremony and reception. Thinking about things like that makes me all fuzzy inside :)
So anyways..Rob is making me think about death and marriage and music. Quite a mix,huh?
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment